For Valentine’s Day, we wanted to share the recipe of our favorite and most popular dish: fettuccine & clams. Eat in for a change, make a romantic dinner for two.
Ingredients – serves two:
- 1/2 lb dry fettuccine
- 12-18 littleneck clams (cleaned)
- 16 oz white wine
- 16 oz fish stock
- 6 garlic cloves (chopped)
- 1 small white onion (sliced thin)
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 tbsp bread crumbs
- 4 tbsp grated parmesan cheese
- 4 tbsp canola oil
- use a pot large enough to hold all the clams and that can be covered with a lid
- heat pan over high heat
- add canola oil and onions, cook til translucent
- add half the chopped garlic, cook until slightly colored
- turn off flame, add white wine to deglaze the pan
- turn flame back on to medium high, bring to boil
- add fish stock and clams
- cover pot, let clams steam until opened (discard any that don’t)
- in separate pot, cook pasta according to box for al dente and then set aside
- remove clams from pot set aside and remove the top shell
- add cooked pasta to sauce
With all the garlic and onion-y flavor we tend to pair this with a nice dry Riesling, in order to enjoy all the savory-ness of the dish. Dr Frank’s winery Finger Lakes, NY makes quite a few award-winning ones that are also reasonably priced too. A lot of the NYC wine shops carry the label.
Let us know how your dinner turned out.
See you upstate!